Search Engine Marketing Case Study: Birks
Business Description: Birks is a worldwide luxury brand of diamond jewelry. Representing a long history of uncompromising quality and courteous service and customer trust, the Birks brand has been part of many of the most important events in the lives of their customers. An experienced company which treasures its heritage and history, Birks is Canada's largest jeweler and one of North America's most stable companies.
Birks is an award winning designer, manufacturer and retailer of diamond rings, wedding bands, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, gemstone jewelry, pearl necklaces, sterling silver bracelets, pendants, watches, clocks, flatware, silverware and gifts. Birks is the official supplier of jewellery to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter games.
- Birks required assistance executing their website and search marketing campaigns.
- The Birks website was underperforming in the natural (organic) search engine rankings.
- Birks pay per click search advertising efforts required greater coordination, including the creation or rephrasing of nearly 1400 unique ad-groups.
- Metamend performed an exhaustive website and search engine marketing audit to give Birks a clearer view of the competitive environment. The audit also provided Metamend SEO and PPC staff with the critical information necessary to build a coherent web marketing plan.
- Metamend provided a search engine optimization plan for the Birks website development department to follow.
- The SEO recommendations included keywords associated with seasonal events and holidays. These recommendations proved to be considerable factors in their results.
- Metamend's PPC management rephrased existing and created unique advertising campaigns targeting thousands of keyword phrases.
- Metamend monitors Birks' search advertising efforts on the Google AdWords, Yahoo! Search Marketing, Microsoft AdCenter, and the Shop-To-It networks.
- Birks first came to Metamend in March 2008. By May, Metamend had completed Birks.com evaluations, audits and recommendations.
- Between July and October of 2008, search driven traffic to the Birks.com website had increased by over 30%.
- During the same period the Metamend PPC department doubled website traffic driven by paid search advertising while staying on budget.
- Metamend is assisting Birks assert its right to use to use the Vancouver 2010 Olympics name and symbols in its Google advertising campaigns.